Fancy a fun day out this autumn in Wales at a fraction of the cost? An opportunity has arisen to do just that.
The National Lottery is offering £25 off hundreds of attractions and experiences across the UK, and there’s loads of places in Wales which form part of their offer.
From October 8, anyone with a valid Lottery ticket can claim a £25 voucher to be used for participating activities, which range from adrenaline-filled days out to wildlife parks, boat trips and star gazing.
READ MORE: The best days out in Wales that don’t cost a penny
Among the highlights in Wales, history enthusiasts can take an expert-led guided tour of Cardiff Castle, a medieval castle dating back nearly 2,000 years that was once a Roman fortress.
For the wildlife fans, there’s Manor Wildlife Park in Tenby, the only walking safari in Wales that allows visitors to mingle with the lemurs or walk alongside the wallabies.
And thrill seekers can experience Europe’s longest zipline across the Welsh countryside with Zip World or head underground to Zip World Slate Caverns’ Bounce Below.
Here’s a list of some of the participating venues and activities.
Manor Wildlife Park – from £17.95
- Walk right into the animals’ habitats to get up close with lemurs, wallabies and giant rabbits.
- Meet endangered Sumatran tigers, southern white rhinos and extra cute red pandas.
- Enjoy a giant indoor play area with bouncy castle, a hay-play barn and a Digiwall climbing challenge.
- Take a break in the 18th century manor house at the heart of the park to enjoy a selection of cakes, sandwiches, and hot food.
Group stargazing – from £20
- Join astronomers at the Brecon Beacons Observatory in the heart of Wales’ first International Dark Sky Reserve.
- Use the observatory’s telescope and a variety of portable telescopes located in the grounds.
- Be shown how to set up a telescope correctly before viewing and then photographing some of the magnificent sights in the night sky.
Zip World – from £50
- Containing two incredible zip lines, Phoenix is a record-breaker, being the fastest seated zip line in the world, and Zip World’s steepest.
- You’ll travel at speeds up to 70 mph and with four lines situated side by side, can race friends and family to be the fastest.
Puffin Island powerboat trip – from £25
- Enjoy spectacular scenery including historic sites, shipwrecks and Penmon lighthouse, with panoramic views of the Snowdonia mountain range.
- Admire 14 different species of bird that visit Puffin Island throughout the year – including Eider Duck, Canada Geese, Guillemot, Razor Bills and Kittiwake and of course the enigmatic little Puffin birds.
Llanelli Wetland Centre – from £9
- Explore 450 acres of a mosaic of pools, marshes, lagoons and reed beds in south west Wales.
- Take on the challenges at wild outdoor play areas.
- Meet some of the world’s most unusual and rare ducks, geese and swans – with many tame enough to feed from your hand.
- See a flock of exotically coloured Caribbean flamingos.
- Take unrivalled close ups of wildlife against stunning wetland backdrops.
Anglesey Bridges powerboat trip – from £25
- Enjoy a cruise along the Menai Strait – into Port Penrhyn and then out past the Bangor Pier – Wales’s longest pier at over 1500 feet.
- Admire the the iconic Menai Suspension Bridge – a triumph of civil engineering and the biggest suspension bridge in the world at the time it was built.
- Witness the strong currents of the Swellies then navigate underneath Robert Stevenson’s Britannia Bridge spotting the pairs of Britannia Lions situated either side of the bridge.
Cardiff Castle – from £14.50
Cardiff Castle is among the options
(Image: WalesOnline/Rob Browne)
- Learn about the castle’s history from its Roman occupation, through Norman conquest, Victorian transformation and World War II.
- Climb the mighty Norman Keep, marvel at the Castle Apartments, discover the Roman remains and Chariot Corner.
- Explore the firing line military museum complete with historical information, exhibits, a programme of living history events and hands-on activities.
- Enjoy a scenic stroll along three sides of the castle’s outer defences on the breath-taking Battlement Walk.
You can now get all of the need-to-know news sent straight to your inbox by signing up for our free WalesOnline newsletter.
It takes just seconds to subscribe – simply click here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Plantasia Tropical Zoo, Swansea – from £7
- Plantasia is Swansea’s hi-tech hot house boasting one of the finest collections of plants in the country.
- Step through a giant tree into a real rainforest and spend the day exploring a vibrant and magical world.
- Crawl through the under growth, come face to face with crocodiles, enter the meerkats tunnel, or dare to climb high in the canopy with the parrots.
- Discover over 40 species of animal living within a real rainforest.
Full day walking tour of north Wales – from £310
- Marvel at the grandeur of Mount Snowdon, standing at 1085 altitude – 100m higher than what England has to offer.
- Discover the secrets of the three secluded peaks of Snowdonia: Glyder Fawr, Glyder Fach and Tryfan.
- Take different routes and adventure into the depths of North Wales’ most beautiful scenery.
To get £25 off fun days out, National Lottery players should click here to get one of hundreds of thousands of vouchers available. The promotion is open to players with Lotto tickets bought on or after October 1. The money for the initiative comes from a National Lottery promotional fund. It is not being funded by money allocated for National Lottery Good Causes or by Camelot.
Voucher codes can only be redeemed against the price of the booking to a participating attraction. The full value of the voucher code must be used in one booking. If the value of the booking is less than £25, the remaining balance on the voucher code is forfeited. Voucher codes are limited to one per person. Codes can be redeemed against family tickets.
UK tourism minister Nigel Huddleston said: “The fantastic National Lottery Days Out scheme is part of our plan to help our brilliant tourism sector to build back better from the challenges of the pandemic. There is so much to see and do throughout the year across the whole of the UK. I encourage all National Lottery players to see what’s on offer and get out there and have some great days out at top attractions.”
VisitBritain CEO Sally Balcombe added: “VisitBritain is very pleased to be supporting The National Lottery Days Out campaign to encourage more of us to get out and discover the fantastic visitor attractions and experiences here on our doorstep and enjoy a great day out with family and friends.”
To get the latest email updates from WalesOnline click here.